Leak Free Enclosure Process for Construction Managers & General Contractors
Track 2: Building Enclosures
Wednesday, May 11, 11:00am – 12:00pm
Hundreds of Millions of Dollars are spent every year by construction managers, trade partners, and insurance companies in litigation and for repairing the water and moisture damage caused by construction defects in the Building Enclosure.
We know this is an issue, it has been for decades, so is there a way to ensure the construction of high performing enclosures, the answer is YES!!! This presentation will use actual Case Studies from projects around the country to discuss a process that can be put into specifications to ensure Durable, Sustainable and High Performing Enclosures. This process has been practiced for over 20 years and is based upon the industry leading processes of NIBS Guideline 3 and the current ASTM BECx documents.
- Discuss the importance of Detail and Specifications review.
- Discuss Pre-Construction Meetings to ensure successful installation of materials in a timely manner.
- Discuss the importance of Functionally Tested Mockups (through various real-life examples)
*How to transfer the lessons learned from the mockup to the Tradesmen about to work on your enclosure.
- Review the importance of on-site 3rd party inspection of installed materials and the importance in Situ Testing for Validation of installation.
Brian Stroik, ABAA Chair, Performance Excellence & Quality Consultant, American Contractors Insurance Group
Brian Stroik is a recognized industry leader in the construction of energy efficient, sustainable and durable buildings.
Brian is involved with key industry organizations – For three years, he has served as Chair of the Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA), he’s been voted for two years to the Board of Directors for the Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC), has obtained certifications as a Certified Air Barrier Specialist (CABS) and Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS) and is currently a Performance Excellence & Quality Consultant for American Contractors Insurance Group, a company that focuses on Quality in Construction for some of the largest construction companies in the United States.
Brian is a frequent speaker on the subjects of: commissioning the building enclosure (BECx), quality in construction, and mock ups / first run studies. Brian has also chaired numerous speaker sessions at national conferences and hosted roundtable discussions. He holds the following industry positions and affiliations:
- Past Chair, National Building Enclosure Council (NBEC)
- Chair and a Director, Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA): Past Chair Research Committee
- Advisory Board Member, Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC a Council of the National Institute of Building Sciences – NIBS), Washington, DC
- Founder and Chair, Building Enclosure Council of Wisconsin (BEC-WI)
- Voting member of ASTM E06 – Building Performance
- Senior Member, American Society of Quality (ASQ)
- Certified, American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
White papers by Mr. Stroik on the subjects of building energy efficiency and building enclosure design, among others, have been published in The Journal of Energy Efficiency & Reliability, The Journal of Building Enclosure Design and SprayFoam Magazine.